The local Juuru community has a long history in Estonia. It goes back to 13th century.
Thanks to favorable natural circumstances, ancient Harju included also part of the territuory of Juuru municipality, the most densely populated and more developed ancient county in 13th century.
According to the Danish Census Book (The Danish Census Book or the Danish book of land taxation (Latin: Liber Census Daniæ) from the 13th century “notes for practical use” in the Royal Chancery of Valdemar II contained a collection of information on Royal income and Royal land property – one of the most important sources of information regards social conditions and place names during the Middle Ages and there were a number of populous villages in Juuru municipality at that time.
Periods of development
After the conquest, the population was baptized and Juuru parish was formed, which at that time covered also current Kaiu, Kohila, Kehtna and Rapla municipalities and part of today´s Harju County.
The feudalism period, which began after the conquest of the land, gave rise to the churches, castles and estates of the area. Unfortunately the housing growth in villages and individual families, was interrupted by several rebellions, wars, famines and diseases.
After the Great Northern War (1700 – 1721) the enlargement of agrarian habitat began. New manors were established on cultivated land and this was accompanied by the destruction of villages and farms, and relocation.
During the period of capitalism, which in Estonia began in 19th century, a number of social reforms were implemented – separation of the land belonging to the manors and to the farms; also the sale of many farms took place. Around Juuru church the village of today came into being.
After Estonia’s independence, in the 1920s when the agrarian reform was conducted, the manor land was dispossessed and distributed to homesteads.
During the period of socialism, people concentrated on rural collective farms and state farms set up in centers where the majority of the production buildings and service establishments were located. Villages far from the centre left empty.
Finally the 21st Century has seen moderate development with many new plans and strategies implemented by the dynamic local government to create an attractive yet ancient living environment for all inhabitants of the area.
Historically the manor was located in Juuru Municipality, Harjumaa County and the manor was first mentioned in 1682. The single-storey stone main building as it has been expanded today was built in several stages in the 18th and 19th centuries. It has been connected with various noble families during its existence, such as von Fersen, von Kursell, Rausch von Traubenberg as well as von Maydell.
In the 20th century, the building housed a hospital until it was taken over by Juuru Municipality now constitutionally located in Raplamaa County.
More details can be found in Estonian on the government website, www.Juuru.ee and under the menu bar selection ‘Community’ above.